Offering Unique Benefits Helps with Recruitment


Not all employers offer dental plans for employees. This may be a hidden recruiting tool. The cost to offer dental coverage may be less than you think. If you are strategic in the way you market benefits when recruiting, you will see increased applicant interest.

There are many dental insurance plans out there, and they can be as complicated to navigate as health insurance. Searching for comprehensive, affordable dental plans demands the same level of diligence for that of a medical plan in order to keep company costs in line and maintain favorable employee relations. Keep in mind that offering a dental plan can be used as another recruiting and retention tool.

Unfortunately, dental plans are most often an afterthought to medical health care coverage because there is no legal obligation for a business of any size to provide the benefit. As a consequence, many Americans don’t have dental coverage. One survey covering the U.S. and Canada, reported that dental coverage was the third-most-utilized health care coverage. Medical and prescription coverage take the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively. With this demand, you can see how simply offering dental coverage of some kind will set you above the rest of the employers competing for a strong workforce.

Dental insurance, like health insurance, is a noteworthy advantage in recruiting and retaining top talent. Here’s a step-by-step guide to dental plan selection and implementation:

There are several questions you’ll want to ask yourself and other decision-makers within your company to determine what type of dental plan is best for your staff:

  • What should the selected plan cover?
  • How much should I pay for coverage?
  • How much should my employees pay for coverage?

Dental plans range from fully-employer funded, partially-employer funded to fully-employee funded:

  • Fully-Funded Employer Plans: A plan wherein the employer bears 100 percent of the costs associated with providing benefits.
  • Partially-Funded Employer Plans: Typically employers will pay less than 100 percent of the costs (traditionally about 80 percent) and the employees pick up the remaining balance (typically about 20 percent).
  • Fully-Funded Employee Plans: Employees are responsible for 100 percent of the cost of the plan. On the back end, the employer often takes over administrative costs and payroll deductions.

When considering adding dental coverage for your workforce, be sure to do your research. Some plans offer almost no real coverage. Other plans can cover so many procedures that the costs are too high. Try to strike a balance. Employees will be reluctant to leave if they use the dental plan and like it. Recruiting new employees gets easier since you now have one more competitive advantage to use in your benefits over other job descriptions.

A well written job description sells the company, the job and the benefits in a way that cannot be matched by others. Effective recruiters know how to make their jobs stand out in the crowd.

If you would like assistance with writing more strategic job descriptions complimented with benefits, tap into our experienced team at Axxis — we’re here to help.

For more information on this or other recruitment topics,
Please contact Stan at Stan@ADS4HR.com 813.236.4858 ext 2#